Note: Note: This house is on the 2012 Solar & Green Building Tour. See Tour Details...
Stu Besnoff owns and operates Alpine Solar Heat and Hot Water (http://www.alpinesolarheat.com) in Windsor, MA. At this location the sun is used to heat domestic hot water, interior space, and swimming pool water.
Domestic hot water (for kitchen sink, bathtub, etc.) can be heated by the sun using evacuated tube solar hot water collectors. This equipment, sometimes referred to as solar thermal, captures energy from the sun to heat water during all seasons. Owners of existing homes or businesses and people planning new residential or commercial construction can reduce the need to buy expensive fossil fuel, while also reducing your carbon impact.
To have a bigger impact on helping the environment and reducing your fuel costs, you can use solar hot water collectors to heat your home, in addition to heating domestic hot water.
Come visit me between 10 am and 4 pm on Oct 13th or most other days with an appointment. You can see the display, showing operational domestic hot water, whole house heating, and swimming pool heating systems. Disassembled solar collectors can be viewed to help understand their construction and operation.
Here are key points of my bio:
- High School in New Haven, Connecticut
- BS & Master of Engineering, Rensselaer Polytechnic Inst., Troy, NY
- Veteran of U.S. Navy
- Research, Communications, Radar, Sonar, and Test Engineer
- Certified public school teacher (Math, Physics, Technology)
- Volunteer Scout leader
- Farming / Landscaping / Excavating business started in 1987
- Pittsfield, Massachusetts apartment rentals started in 1995
- Solar house design and construction started in 2003
My professional affiliations:
Northeast Sustainable Energy Association (NESEA)
U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC)
American Solar Energy Society (ASES)
Berkshire Business Builders
Berkshire Chamber of Commerce
Stu Besnoff can be reached via comments to this blog or through member email.